PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BECAUSE FAILURE TO SUBMIT ALL REQUIRED MATERIALS MAY RESULT IN DENIAL OF YOUR APPLICATION. YOU WILL BE CONTACTED BY EMAIL REGARDING YOUR APPLICATION – RESPONSES MAY GO INTO SPAM OR JUNK EMAIL FOLDERS SO YOU MUST CHECK THOSE FOLDERS
Thank you for reaching out to SAGE Compassion for Animals and applying for a grant. We prevent suffering and euthanasia by providing financial assistance to families with companion animals in medical crisis. Below is our list of criteria for grant eligibility. If we are unable to assist, or if the grant does not cover all of your need, we have a list of resources that may be helpful to assure that your pet gets the veterinary care it needs.
Grant eligibility will be decided based on the pet, guardian or pet parent, and veterinary care provider meeting the following guidelines.
Your pet must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a companion animal
- Have an immediate life-threatening/life-compromising injury or illness
- Have a good after-treatment prognosis
As a condition of a grant, your pet must be or able to be:
- Current on vaccinations
The grants cannot be used for the following:
- Initial exam/consultation fees
- Diagnostic tests – such as bloodwork, radiographs, or anything needed to diagnose the pet’s condition
- Routine visits
- Non-urgent care
- Ongoing/Chronic conditions
- Veterinary services that have already taken place and/or treatment completed prior to SAGEC4A grant approval cannot be covered. If you have already signed an estimate and approved care to be delivered by the veterinary clinic, we also cannot cover those services listed.
Animals that are disaster victims (these animals have no known guardian) may also be eligible for a grant that can be applied for directly by the veterinary care provider.
You as the pet parent or guardian must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a resident of one of these California counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, Sonoma
- Be 18 years or older
- Has not received any previous assistance from Sage Compassion for Animals
- All eligible family members have been rejected from Care Credit and ScratchPay (if your veterinarian accepts this) or approved with insufficient credit to cover the cost of treatment (must upload proof of denial as part of the application process – SEE INSTRUCTIONS ON APPLICATION). If you are approved for credit from Care Credit and/or ScratchPay, that credit will need to be utilized towards any tests for diagnosing your pet prior to applying for a SAGEC4A grant, and/or utilized towards your pet’s procedure
- Must contribute a portion of the total cost of services for which the grant is provided.
- Grant permission for SAGE Compassion for Animals to publish a story for marketing and fundraising purposes (which may include interviews and photographs)
As part of the application process, you will need materials from your veterinary care provider. Veterinary care provider must provide all of the following:
- A definitive diagnosis
- A prognosis (long-term and short-term)
- Medical records to support diagnosis and prognosis
- A recommended treatment plan
- A discount of 25% or greater as compared to their customary pricing
- An itemized estimate for recommended treatment plan (listing both customary and discounted pricing)
- Consent for SAGE Compassion for Animals to publicize case for marketing purposes (SAGE Compassion for Animals can withhold hospital name if requested)
Applications will be submitted via a secure method and stored securely. Sensitive information will be treated in accordance with reasonable privacy standards. Once your application has been submitted, you will be notified within 24 hours of whether the grant has been accepted or denied or if further information is needed. PLEASE CHECK YOUR JUNK AND SPAM FOLDERS IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED AN EMAIL WITHIN 24 HOURS. Incomplete applications will be denied, but there will be an opportunity to gather more information if needed, please just communicate with us your timeframe for completing the application.
If the grant is accepted, you and your veterinary care provider must sign a grant agreement document and have that returned to SAGE Compassion for Animals. Once that is completed, a check for the amount of the grant will be sent directly to the veterinary care provider.
All medical communications and decisions will be between you and your veterinary care provider. This is a one-time-only grant. All follow-up care, including any complications, will need to be discussed between you and your veterinarian. You are responsible for future costs, including any costs associated with a future spay/neuter procedure. The grant was awarded based on the information given to us by your veterinarian regarding the prognosis. SAGE Compassion for Animals is not responsible for the outcome of the veterinary care provided and has no further financial responsibility regarding the care of your pet.