Easter is a time of joy and celebration for many people, but it can also pose some dangers for our furry friends. Chocolate Easter bunnies and fake grass as found in Easter baskets are two common items that can harm dogs and cats if ingested. Here’s why you should keep them away from your pets and what to do if they eat them.

Chocolate Easter bunnies are made of chocolate, which contains theobromine and caffeine. These substances are toxic to dogs and cats, and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and even death. The darker the chocolate, the more theobromine and caffeine it has, and the more dangerous it is. A small amount of chocolate can be enough to cause serious problems for a small pet.

Fake grass as found in Easter baskets is made of plastic or paper, which can cause intestinal blockage or perforation if swallowed by dogs or cats. This can lead to symptoms such as loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pain, lethargy, and blood in the stool. Fake grass can also get tangled around the tongue or teeth of your pet, causing discomfort or injury.

To prevent these hazards, you should keep chocolate Easter bunnies and fake grass out of reach of your pets. If you have children, teach them not to share their treats or toys with their pets.  Take it from Nora!  She had to have surgery to remove a child’s toy that was blocking her intestines – read more about her story by clicking on her worried-face picture above!  

If you suspect that your pet has eaten chocolate or fake grass, contact your veterinarian immediately. Do not try to induce vomiting or give any home remedies without consulting your vet first.

Easter can be a fun and festive occasion for you and your pets if you take some precautions. By keeping chocolate Easter bunnies and fake grass away from your pets, you can ensure their safety and well-being.